Medical Tourism is where people who live in one country travel to another country to receive medical, dental and surgical care while at the same time receiving equal to or greater care than they would have in their own country, and are traveling for medical care because of affordability, better access to care or a higher level of quality of care.
Medical tourism refers to people traveling to a country other than their own to obtain medical treatment. In the past this usually referred to those who traveled from less-developed countries to major medical centers in highly developed countries for treatment unavailable at homes. However, in recent years it may equally refer to those from developed countries who travel to developing countries for lower priced medical treatments. The motivation may be also for medical services unavailable or illegal in the home country.
Medical tourism most often is for surgeries (cosmetic or otherwise) or similar treatments, though people also travel for dental tourism or fertility tourism. People with rare conditions may travel to countries where the treatment is better understood. However, almost all types of health care are available, including psychiatry, alternative medicine, convalescent care, and even burial services.
Planning for Medical Tourism in India
- If you are planning to travel to another country for medical care, see a travel medicine practitioner at least 4–6 weeks before the trip to discuss general information for healthy travel and specific risks related to the procedure and travel before and after the procedure.
- Make sure that any current medical conditions you have are well controlled, and that your regular health care provider knows about your plans for travel and medical care overseas.
- Check the qualifications of the health care providers who will be doing the procedure and the credentials of the facility where the procedure will be done. Remember that foreign standards for health care providers and facilities may be different from those of the United States. Accrediting groups, including Joint Commission International, DNV International Accreditation for Hospitals and the International Society for Quality in Healthcare, have lists of standards that facilities need to meet to be accredited.
- Make sure that you have a written agreement with the health care facility or the group arranging the trip, defining what treatments, supplies, and care are covered by the costs of the trip.
- If you go to a country where you do not speak the language, determine ahead of time how you will communicate with your doctor and other people who are caring for you.
- Take with you copies of your medical records that include the lab and other studies done related to the condition for which you are obtaining care and any allergies you may have.
- Bring copies of all your prescriptions and a list of all the medicines you take, including their brand names, generic names, manufacturers, and dosages.
- Arrange for follow-up care with your local health care provider before you leave.
- Before planning vacation activities, such as sunbathing, drinking alcohol, swimming, or taking long tours, find out if those activities are permitted after surgery.
- Get copies of all your medical records before you return home.
Scope of Medical Tourism in India
Medical tourism is a growing sector in India. In October 2015, India’s medical tourism sector was estimated to be worth US$3 billion. It is projected to grow to $7–8 billion by 2020. According to the Confederation of Indian Industries (CII), the primary reason that attracts medical value travel to India is cost-effectiveness, and treatment from accredited facilities at par with developed countries at much lower cost. The Medical Tourism Market Report: 2015 found that India was “one of the lowest cost and highest quality of all medical tourism destinations, it offers wide variety of procedures at about one-tenth the cost of similar procedures in the United States.
India is becoming the 2nd medical tourism destination after Thailand. Chennai is regarded as “India’s Health City” as it attracts 45% of health tourists visiting India and 40% of domestic health tourists. India’s medical tourism sector was expected to experience an annual growth rate of 30% from 2012, making it a $2 billion industry by 2015. As medical treatment costs in the developed world balloon – with the United States leading the way – more and more Westerners are finding the prospect of international travel for medical care increasingly appealing. An estimated 150,000 of these travel to India for low-priced healthcare procedures every year. Cosmetic surgery, bariatric surgery, knee cap replacements, liver transplants, and cancer treatments are some of the most sought out medical tourism procedures opted by foreigners.
Scope of Medical Tourism in Madhya Pradesh
Talking about Madhya Pradesh, Indore and Bhopal two main cities of Madhya Pradesh, has marked the city’s entry on the medical tourism map of India with an uptick in the number of foreign patients coming for treatment to the city. The rise has been due to the availability of world-class medical technologies, and a growing compliance with international quality standards.
Till now, medical tourism patients have largely been visiting India’s metros but we feel that Indore and Bhopal has the potential of becoming the medical tourism hub of central India and ranking high on India’s map of cities offering quality medical care.
Major Medical Services offered in Madhya Pradesh
You can club few destination of Madhya Pradesh pre or post surgery with your Medical Tour.
In so far as the richness and diversity of tourism destinations is concerned, Madhya Pradesh is easily the best state of the nation. Also known as the “Tiger State of India, It has been home to the cultural heritage of Hinduism, Islam, Buddhism, Jainism etc. Innumerable monuments, exquisitely carved temples, stupas, forts & palaces like World Heritage Sites are dotted all over the state. Also depending upon your interest you can opt a Jungle Safari Tour, Tribal Tour, Religious Tour, Historical Tour, Heritage Tour, Archeological Site Tours Etc. Madhya Pradesh was awarded the Best Tourism State Award in 2012.
We arrange and organize Medical Tours in Madhya Pradesh clubbing your medical needs with your Tourism interest. Starting from fixing the appointment with best doctors in industry, discussing your medical history, sharing details like required time and expenses. Making all arrangements for hospitalization and providing accommodation, transportation for your Tourism Interest.
Travellers Planner a division of Planet Dreamz welcomes you to Madhya Pradesh. Be our guest and give a chance to serve you the best.